Good Neighbor Week
A NEIGHBORWORKS WEEK EVENT
September 21 through September 27, 2020
Each year NeighborWorks Green Bay sends a team of eight residents to the Community Leadership Institute: a weekend of leadership training with NeighborWorks America. The team participates in leadership classes and is tasked with coming up with a project to improve their community. The 2019 CLI team decided on Good Neighbor Week. The week about encouraging people to be good to each other. Green Bay Neighborhood Associations are encouraged to come up with a project in their neighborhood.
NeighborWorks Week is an annual week long celebration of the impact NeighborWorks America’s network partners have on their communities. The week is highlighted by several volunteer events.
NeighborWorks Green Bay hosts our Annual Celebration of the year’s accomplishments. It is an opportunity to share our successes and impact on the community while increasing awareness of our services. In 2019 nearly 300 people attended the celebration. In 2020, an in-person event is not prudent. NeighborWorks Green Bay, partners and volunteers decided overwhelmingly to change this year’s event into a day of service, directly giving back to the community we serve.
These three events have a tremendous amount of crossover, so we decided to combine them into one week of giving back and community service. The week is scheduled September 21st to September 27th and will offer volunteer projects throughout the community, including several projects helping veterans, low-income and disabled community members. Employees, Board of Directors, and partners of NeighborWorks Green Bay will volunteer their time with members of the CLI and Neighborhood Associations cleaning, repairing, painting, and landscaping in the community we serve.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE IN GOOD NEIGHBOR WEEK IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?
- Trash walks (while observing proper social distancing
- Food drives
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn/water their garden
- Bake bread or cookies for a neighbor
- Convert a Little Free Library to a food pantry
- Organize a community bike ride (while observing proper social distancing)
- Neighborhood Walks (while observing social distancing)
- Schedule porch coffee dates
- Sidewalk chalk messages/ trails through the neighborhood for people to follow – like hopscotch
- Become pen pals or phone pals
- Community stargazing/campfire nights
- Porch concerts
- Garden in the front yard – learn new plants
- Story time – read a book out loud to the neighborhood
- Write an old-fashioned letter to family/neighbors you can’t socialize with
- Start a neighborhood online book club
- Check on neighbors
- Give blood
- Virtual tip jars….to fundraise to assist workers in bars and restaurants
- Blue lights and ribbons to support health care workers
- Clean your block….to include clearing leaves out of storm sewer grates
- Paint stones and leave them around the neighborhood sending messages of hope and community
Or make a gift to NeighborWorks Green Bay to increase our impact on the community!